Traditional to E-Cigarettes: Nicotine Abuse and Its Treatments
As a result of participating in this lecture learners should have a working knowledge of the following topics, essential to competency in addiction medicine and identify areas where more study may be needed:
- Understand the pharmacology of nicotine (receptors, messengers, clinical effect)
- Be able to describe neurobiology of nicotine dependence.
- Understand the medical risks of various tobacco products.
- Learn about pharmacological treatment and outcomes (NRT formulations, Buproprion, Varenicline, etc)
- Learn about psychosocial treatment and outcomes
Mitchell Nides, PhD
Dr. Nides is the Director and co-developer of Picture Quitting, and has been helping smokers quit for the past 25 years. From 1987 to 1999 Dr. Nides was a smoking cessation researcher and counselor in the Pulmonary and Critical Care Dept. of the UCLA School of Medicine. In 1993 he founded Los Angeles Clinical Trials where he has been the Principal Investigator of dozens of clinical trials testing the safety and efficacy of smoking cessation medications including nicotine gum, patch, inhaler, and nasal spray, and non-nicotine medications.
Dr. Nides has financial relationships with: GSK: Consulting Fees; McNeil: Consulting Fees; NJOY: Consulting Fees and other Financial or Material Support, Research Grants; Pfizer: Consulting Fees
- 1.00 AAPA
- 1.00 AMA Category 1
- 1.00 CAADAC
- 1.00 Attendance
- 1.00 NCCAP