Emergency Room Presentations of Addiction
As a result of participating in this lecture learners should have a working knowledge of the following topics, essential to competency in addiction medicine and identify areas where more study may be needed:
- Statistics on ER presentations of addictive disorders
- ER screening and evaluation for addictive disorders
- Concept of toxidromes and how they inform treatment.
- Clinical case vignettes weighted towards the more common or more serious presentations of addictive disorders
- Approaches to diagnostic dilemmas in acute care patients
- Limitations of toxicology testing in the acute care setting.
Kent Olson, MD
Dr. Olson is the Medical Director of the San Francisco Division of the California Poison Control System, and Clinical Professor of Medicine & Pharmacy at the University of California, San Francisco.. He is board-certified in emergency medicine and medical toxicology, and is a Fellow of the American College of Emergency Physicians, the American Academy of Clinical Toxicology, and the American College of Medical Toxicology. He is the Editor of Poisoning & Drug Overdose. In 2010 he was awarded the Matthew J. Ellenhorn award by the American College of Medical Toxicology.
Dr. Olson has no relevant financial relationships to disclose
- 1.00 California Board of Behavioral Sciences
- 1.00 NCCPA
- 1.00 AAPA
- 1.00 AMA Category 1
- 1.00 CAADAC