Essentials of Addiction Medicine: A Conference on the Treatment of Substance Use Disorders
The Essentials of Addiction Medicine Conference provides an in-depth overview of what really is essential in treating addicted patients: from basic epidemiology, pharmacology, and neurobiology, to the challenge of identifying dependent or at-risk patients across many different treatment settings, from the emergency room to the intensive care unit to private practice. Participants will come away with practical knowledge that can be applied to real-world experiences, as well as the knowledge needed to pass the ABMS addiction medicine board exam in the future. Presenters are nationally-recognized experts and clinicians with extensive practical experience. CSAM conferences feature moderated case discussion allowing participants to deepen and apply what they have learned.
PRICE/PURCHASE -- $595
You must sign in or register register on this site before purchasing using the link on the upper right corner of this page. Only after registering will you see the "Add to Cart" button.
You can purchase the full course or individual lectures. If you want to purchase the full course click on that box (you do not need to select each lecture). After you have selected, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Add to Cart."
You will be able to work through the lectures in any order by clicking on the lecture in the table below. You can print out a CME certificate or transcript at any time.
PHYSICIANS: The California Society of Addiction Medicine (CSAM) is accredited by the Institute for Medical Quality/California Medical Association to provide continuing medical education for physicians. CSAM takes responsibility for the content, quality and scientific integrity of this CME activity.
CSAM designates this live educational activity for a maximum of 16.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. This credit may also be applied to the CMA Certification in Continuing Medical Education.
This course has been approved by the American Board of Addiction Medicine (ABAM). Physicians enrolled in the ABAM Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program can apply a maximum of 16.5 AMA/PRA Category 1 Credit™ for completing the Review Course.
Continuing education credit is also available for nurses, psychologists, pharmacists, physician assistants, therapists, and drug abuse counselors.
- Addiction medicine specialists who want an overview of the latest developments in the field and their relevance to clinical practice
- Primary care clinicians who want to get a better understanding of addiction and manage patients with addictions in their practice
- Public health officials who want an understanding of the current state of addiction treatment
- Non-physicians who are involved in the treatment of addiction
Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Recognize the effects of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs in both tolerant and non-tolerant individuals;
- Recognize the basic neurobiological, behavioral, and genetic mechanisms of addiction;
- Apply an understanding of the main drugs of abuse, their pharmacology, and specifics associated with the diagnosis, detoxification, and treatment for each, and apply in clinical situations;
- Apply in treatment an understanding of the main features of related psychological disorders seen in patients suffering from substance abuse disorders.
- 16.50 AMA Category 1