Stimulants: Amphetamines and Cocaine | Larissa Mooney, MD
This lecture reviews:
- Mechanisms of action for stimulants
- Physical and psychiatric effects of stimulants
- Treatment approaches for stimulant use disorders
- Medications for methamphetamine use disorder
- Medications for cocaine use disorder
PRICE/PURCHASE -- $50
You must sign in or register register on this site before purchasing using the link on the upper right corner of this page. Only after registering will you see the "Add to Cart" button. To purchase, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Add to Cart."
PHYSICIANS: The California Society of Addiction Medicine (CSAM) is accredited by the Institute for Medical Quality/California Medical Association to provide continuing medical education for physicians. CSAM takes responsibility for the content, quality and scientific integrity of this CME activity.
CSAM designates this live educational activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. This credit may also be applied to the CMA Certification in Continuing Medical Education.
This course has been approved by the American Board of Addiction Medicine (ABAM). Physicians enrolled in the ABAM Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program can apply a maximum of 1 AMA/PRA Category 1 Credits™ for completing the Review Course.
Continuing education credit is also available for nurses, psychologists, pharmacists, physician assistants, therapists, and drug abuse counselors.
- Addiction medicine specialists who want an overview of the latest developments in the field and their relevance to clinical practice
- Primary care clinicians who want to get a better understanding of addiction and manage patients with addictions in their practice
- Public health officials who want an understanding of the current state of addiction treatment
- Non-physicians who are involved in the treatment of addiction
At the end of the talk the learners should be able to….
- Recognize signs and symptoms of intoxication, withdrawal, and addiction to cocaine and amphtetamine-type stimulants.
- Understand the epidemiology of stimulant addiction.
- Identify psychiatric and medical effects of stimulant use.
- Understand treatment options for stimulant use disorder, including emerging pharmacological approaches.
Larissa Mooney, MD
Dr. Larissa Mooney is a board certified addiction psychiatrist with expertise in the treatment of substance use disorders and psychiatric comorbidity. She is an Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at UCLA and Acting Chief of the Greater Los Angeles VA Substance Use Disorders Section. She directs the UCLA Addiction Medicine Clinic, where she teaches psychiatrists in training. Dr. Mooney serves on the Executive Board of Directors for the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP). As an investigator at UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, she has conducted research on pharmacological and behavioral interventions for addictive disorders and has collaborated on community training initiatives to enhance understanding of substance use disorders and concomitant psychiatric illness.
Dr. Mooney has no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
- 1.00 Attendance
- 1.00 AMA Category 1